Thursday, December 6, 2007

What Is A Vacation?

What is a vacation? Why take a vacation?

Ask yourself-- why do I take a vacation? Obviously, not everybody takes a vacation, but most of us do. What purpose does it serve?

There are lots of different types of vacations. What is your idea of a fulfilling vacation? An activity like hiking, snowboarding, surfing, etc? Relaxing on a cruise ship? Visiting ancient ruins? Experiencing local culture?

If distill the common elements of a fulfilling vacation, we are left with two main ingredients:

1) Change of surroundings and habits. The daily routine is changed and we are taken outside our comfort zone.

2) Create strong memories. Either through activities, or seeing interesting places we try to create lasting memories.

Looking at a vacation in this stripped-down way allows you to focus on what you want to achieve with your time. This was the thought process that I used when formulating the idea of the donation vacation. Obviously I will be taking myself outside my comfort zone. Travelling to Peru is definetly not part of my daily routine. But the donation vacation has the additional benefit of taking me outside my comfort zone right here at home. I have never raised money for a charity before. The activities and events I will be hosting, the responsibility I will be taking on, and the people I will be working with are all outside my daily routine. That part of my vacation will essentially be extended for many months.

Consider the strong memories we will create when we meet the children and see the schools that will directly benefit from the money we raise. Changing a child's life creates a very strong and lasting memory. Hopefully we will create a larger shared memory with everyone who donates by sharing what we learn about the people of the Pueblos Jovenes in Arequipa.

And we can still fit in the more "traditional" Peru activities (hiking Machu Picchu, seeing condors at Colca Canyon, etc).

I am certain that we would have an awesome time if we just went to Peru and did a normal vacation. But by makeing our vacation something greater than ourselves, I believe we will find it even more fulfilling.

No comments: